Skip to main content

12 books I'm excited to read in 2021

Merry Christmas and a happy new year! 

With new years quickly approaching I have decided that THIS is THE YEAR i'm going to read a book a month. So without further or do, here are my 12 reads for 2021 (subject to change...). 


The Magpie Society - One for Sorrow by Zoe Sugg and Amy McCulloch 

This novel is the first in a series set at an elite boarding school. The story follows two students after the findings of a body at the students summer party. They are both drawn together through the unravelling mystery of the girls murder. I always enjoy a good murder mystery and I am looking forward to the twists this will bring. 
 

Mindfulness - A practical guide for finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penmann 

Back of the book reads "Mindfulness reveals the secrets of lifelong happiness and details a unique programme developed by Oxford University psychologist Professor Mark Williams with colleagues around the world." I first read this book and followed the attached meditations a few years ago and was amazed by the benefits. I will be returning to the book with the hopes of quick starting my meditation practise once more. 


Mrs Hinch - This is me

I started this book a few weeks ago and I am loving it so far. I'm not usually one for an autobiography but I am loving the down to earth nature of this one and how Mrs Hinch weaves in lifes lessons in such an effortless fashion. I am looking forward to finishing this read. 


Nimona by Noelle Stevenson 

I bought this book a couple of years ago and never got around to finishing it. Its a graphic novel that stars an unusual duo of villains that maybe do end up saving the day. I love the idea of sitting with a very different read to what I would usually go for. 


Turtles all the Way Down by John Green 

I am a bit of a John Green fan and enjoyed reading this book when it first came out. I am looking forward to re-reading it. It follows the main character 'Aza' and her friends search for a billionaire but complications arise through their meeting with his son. 


Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix by J.K.Rowling 

I am up to The Order of the Phoenix in the Harry Potter series. Although I do not agree with Rowlings recent statements, the wizarding world is one of love and safety. These books are a cozy read and I am looking forward to re-entering Hogwarts once more. 



The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

This book is a bestseller for spirituality and Eckhart looks to guide the reader to live a happier and more mindful life. I have heard many amazing things about this book from multiple people from different walks of life. For that reason I can imagine this becoming an instant favourite.  


The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton 

This, again, is another re-read. I remember having low expectations for this book. I cant remember when I got it but I remember thinking 'ah, this will be alright', how wrong I was. I struggled to put this book down. It gripped me and transported me to a very different world. As I read this some years ago, I am looking forward to re-living this page turner as most of the plot I have forgotten. 


The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett 

The story follows the lives of Eva and Jim. Their paths cross in 1958 and little do they know how their lives have changed forever. The story follows their lives both together and the alternate path, apart. I started reading this book but found it a little hard to follow. I will attempt to restart this book as it has many great reviews.


Happy by Fearne Cotton 

I love listening to Fearne Cottons podcast 'Happy Place', so I am looking forward to reading her book Happy. Fearne is very open about her own struggles with her mental health and I am looking forward to implementing her tips into my life.  


Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Everyone has heard of Lord of the Flies and many students studied it at school. I know the story but have never read this classic myself. Looking forward to the gems of life lessons scattered throughout this short novel. 

Speaking of life lessons this takes me onto my last book...


The Five People you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom 

I read this novel about 5 years ago and I remember being moved by its strong tellings of lifes lessons through the story of the death of fairground worker Eddie. I am looking forward to re-reading this book and seeing what different aspects resonate with me this time around. 

And thats it! 12 books, 12 months! I would love to know any of your book recommendations for this coming year! 

Grab a book, light a candle, sip a cuppa and start reading. 

Lozzy :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn reflection

Happy Monday folks! Where has this last week gone? In fact, how has autumn nearly come and gone! Scarfs, candles, pumpkins, warm drinks and leaves, this time of year is so lovely. This season is always one for getting back into the swings of uni/school work and coming to terms with the fact that summer is now a distant memory, the nights draw closer and the weather gets more and more dreary with each coming day…. Yay? But after a few years of study, I feel like I have got into the balance of life/work but every year September brings around the challenge all over again. With what feels like mountains to do, sometimes the things I enjoy seem to slip. So, having just been set 5 projects all due by December, I thought now would be a good time to outline what I find are the best ways to manage those stressy times but still get what needs to be done… well… done! 1)       Lists – an old but true suggestion. Write everything down. The stress of forgetting something is gone and u

Finding the light within the storm

January was a month of lockdown, isolation and teaching from home. A month of sunrises, walks and reading. Dancing, painting, snow falls and quiet. There was beauty where you looked for it. Moments of calm amongst this storm. The snow bought a welcome relief. Some variety to living so cooped up. It felt lovely to feel such coolness in the air and to see the world looking so bright. I built a snowman and felt my worries slipping away. I enjoyed hot chocolates and cosy blankets. February started off much like January but harder. Days working from home felt filled with stress and worry. Long days slumped over a laptop, grinding teeth and headaches, deadlines and lesson plans. However, it has also been filled with love. Valentines day, walks, yummy food and still more memories from this month to make. I wanted to share a few things that are lighting up my life so far in 2021. We all need to find the light in the storm. I downloaded an app called one second everyday and I really recommend y

Meditations and Mantras

Meditation is a practise that is growing in popularity. It looks to increase calmness and enhance overall health and well-being.  Meditation focuses on the positive connection between the mind and body. It does not look to change you into a different person. It looks to help you to explore yourself more deeply. There are many different types and reasons that people practise meditation but they all have 4 aspects in common; They usually take place in a quiet space. They use a posture that keeps the spine straight whether that be sitting, standing or laying down. They use focus on a mantra, object or the feeling of your breath. They focus on a sense of self compassion when watching thoughts come and go. Meditation has been found to have a positive impact on health from health conditions such as IBS and high blood pressure to mental health conditions. 5 reasons to meditate : "1: Understand your pain 2: Lower your stress 3: Connect better 4: Improve focus 5: Reduce brain chatter"