Skip to main content

Top 10 Teacher Training Tips

I thought I would give an introduction to my teacher training experience thus far for those of you that are thinking of going into the profession. I am currently training to be a secondary school science teacher in the UK and I am training through the university route. I have currently been training for 3 months and I have picked up some tips to share before you dive right into your training. 

  1. Get that school experience prior to starting the course. I worked as a teaching assistant for a year before starting my training and it has been invaluable. There is no way I could have trained comfortably this year without it. So many things that you learn as a TA stand you in great steads for starting your training. From knowing acronyms to computer programmes, from juggling your time to dealing with behavioural problems. 
  2. Be prepared for those 12 hour days. Everyone says its hard and they are right. The 12 hour days really do knock it out of you. I usually get up at 5am to start working from 6am. I then finish work at around 4pm before coming home and working a couple of hours in the evening... zzzzzzz. Also there is no shame at that 8pm bedtime... it will happen! Make sure that you spend an hour a day doing all the necessary things to look after yourself. Drink a cup of tea, take a multivitamin, have a shower, eat properly. Believe me, time is short!
  3. Have one day off a week. Try really hard to have a full day off a week! Without it you really start to feel the hours come the end of term. Some lessons will not be planned properly, some university projects will not be finished to your high standard but looking after yourself is what is really important. 
  4. Ask for help. As soon as something pops up that you don't understand then ask. Ask for help at home too. There's no way you can do it all. 
  5. Create a support network. Network with school colleagues, university peers and other trainees at your school. There's nothing more important than feeling heard. Teachers have all been through this tough training year and know how difficult it really is. 
  6. Its okay to feel overwhelmed. I've had multiple days this term that haven't gone to plan. Some days I've felt so stressed I didn't know if I could make it through the day. But you will. Just take it one day (or one lesson) at a time. 
  7. Buy a notebook that you can use as your daily to do list. I have found this invaluable for jotting down things whilst on the go. Your brain is so full of things to remember that having this by your side helps take that pressure off. 
  8. Get yourself a day to a page diary as well. Most schools do not provide you with a teacher planner so this really is amazing at keeping everything you need in one place. 
  9. Buy a folder to keep your lesson worksheets separated. This folder has been a life saver. Label each section with your class name and keep all of your worksheets there. No more searching through one big folder for that one worksheet!
  10. Coloured biros. I have found these to be very helpful to use in my mini notebook. I can write a few notes in it after a lesson and know that those were my reflective notes to write up properly at a later date. It helps me plan my WROP's as well. 
And that is the end of my top 10 tips so far. I'd love to hear your tips and tricks too.

Good luck to you! 

Lozzy :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn reflection

Happy Monday folks! Where has this last week gone? In fact, how has autumn nearly come and gone! Scarfs, candles, pumpkins, warm drinks and leaves, this time of year is so lovely. This season is always one for getting back into the swings of uni/school work and coming to terms with the fact that summer is now a distant memory, the nights draw closer and the weather gets more and more dreary with each coming day…. Yay? But after a few years of study, I feel like I have got into the balance of life/work but every year September brings around the challenge all over again. With what feels like mountains to do, sometimes the things I enjoy seem to slip. So, having just been set 5 projects all due by December, I thought now would be a good time to outline what I find are the best ways to manage those stressy times but still get what needs to be done… well… done! 1)       Lists – an old but true suggestion. Write everything down. The stress of forgetting something is gone and u

Finding the light within the storm

January was a month of lockdown, isolation and teaching from home. A month of sunrises, walks and reading. Dancing, painting, snow falls and quiet. There was beauty where you looked for it. Moments of calm amongst this storm. The snow bought a welcome relief. Some variety to living so cooped up. It felt lovely to feel such coolness in the air and to see the world looking so bright. I built a snowman and felt my worries slipping away. I enjoyed hot chocolates and cosy blankets. February started off much like January but harder. Days working from home felt filled with stress and worry. Long days slumped over a laptop, grinding teeth and headaches, deadlines and lesson plans. However, it has also been filled with love. Valentines day, walks, yummy food and still more memories from this month to make. I wanted to share a few things that are lighting up my life so far in 2021. We all need to find the light in the storm. I downloaded an app called one second everyday and I really recommend y

Meditations and Mantras

Meditation is a practise that is growing in popularity. It looks to increase calmness and enhance overall health and well-being.  Meditation focuses on the positive connection between the mind and body. It does not look to change you into a different person. It looks to help you to explore yourself more deeply. There are many different types and reasons that people practise meditation but they all have 4 aspects in common; They usually take place in a quiet space. They use a posture that keeps the spine straight whether that be sitting, standing or laying down. They use focus on a mantra, object or the feeling of your breath. They focus on a sense of self compassion when watching thoughts come and go. Meditation has been found to have a positive impact on health from health conditions such as IBS and high blood pressure to mental health conditions. 5 reasons to meditate : "1: Understand your pain 2: Lower your stress 3: Connect better 4: Improve focus 5: Reduce brain chatter"