Skip to main content

Maltesers and Me


This week has been a restful and thought evoking one. Maybe it’s been the combination of the ‘beast from the east’ making a wintry wonderland of scandy drama vibes and/or the virus that had me bed ridden and maybe has caused the cabin fever to go to my brain. But this week I have really been thinking… who am I?

Now hear me out. I’m not going on a journey of self-discovery where ill end up climbing mountains and contorting myself into yoga positions while soaking in the sun rise in the Bahamas (although that does sound good).  Instead it’s been more of the sat indoors watching copious amounts of youtube, movies and video games while eating family size packets of maltesers. 

Now maybe this is my quarter life crisis beginning or maybe I have always been trying to work out what makes me… me.

When looking back on my resolutions for this year it has hit me that all of them involve me trying to be authentically me. Anyone who watched dans video this week will understand this reference. If you haven’t seen it head over and watch it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HDPSz3ldU).

Yes I know its march and yes this has taken me a few months to realise. Yes I’m 20 but perhaps 'finding me' is always going to be an ongoing task. Maybe there is no 'me' and instead 'me' changes every day with every new experience I have, every person I meet, every waking moment I think and every family size pack of maltesers I eat.

So here I sit in my living room scrolling through amazon trying to buy things to make myself happy when really I know they won’t evoke what I am truly looking for. However, still buying that makeup brush cleaner and graphic novel…. I know.

This year I’ve really been trying to find out what I like, what makes me happy and to stop anything that doesn’t (within reason). I’m going to try new things to find what little things make me tick. There are some things I know for certain;

·         Baths keep me balanced.

·         Reading (when I can be bothered) takes me away to another world and I enjoy to escape sometimes.

·         Art is very hit and miss and I need to access my mood before starting a masterpiece that ends up looking like a 5 years olds finger painting.

·         Painting my nails makes me feel like a put together human

·         Train rides looking out the window listening to dramatic music makes me feel badass especially with rain for added dramatic effect

·         Spending time eating and laughing with my friends re charges my ability to deal with stressful life things (aka university)

·         Family time helps me stay centred

·         Bf hugs make me feel secure

Things I’m not so sure about:

·         Do I cut my hair short again like I keep doing every couple of years and growing back and cutting like some kind of yoyo like renewal process or really am I trying to change things as a symbolism for a life changing new me?

·         Do I like working out or am I doing it because I believe I have to.

·         On the same vibe, I know meditation works for me so why don’t I do it?

·         Do I like graphic novels and want to start reading them to see? Answered my question going to buy one.

·         Does the free trial of amazon prime make me buy more stuff… yes it does.

·         Do I want to write a book… and like how?

·         Do I like playing video games like I loved playing Mario kart with my brother when I was like 10?

·         Does my google drive and laptop need clearing out and backing up… yes… will it make me feel better… yes… SO DO IT.

·         How can I tackle large uni projects that have been ongoing for nearly a year and find the motivation I had for the subject 3 years ago?

·         How do you learn 120 ish references in the space of like 10 weeks? My brain seems to think avoidance will solve that at the moment…

·         Where do I want this blog to go?

·         Do I want to take a year out to travel or is that just me wanting to escape the terrifying idea of life just being me working till I like… die.

·         Where do I want my uni degree to take me?

I need a holiday.

Such large life choices I know. But all the same these seem more important to me as of late with my uni life coming to an end and the feeling of life actually beginning. New flat, new jobs and just uncertainty that I’m sure everyone in their last term of uni starts to feel. Any suggestions for dealing with these quarter life crisis esc thoughts would be much appreciated.

End of this strange week post of in depth analysis of my brain… you are welcome. Off to buy my graphic novel and eat maltesers and avoid my dissertation and exam study… the usual.

Till next time,

Lozzy

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn reflection

Happy Monday folks! Where has this last week gone? In fact, how has autumn nearly come and gone! Scarfs, candles, pumpkins, warm drinks and leaves, this time of year is so lovely. This season is always one for getting back into the swings of uni/school work and coming to terms with the fact that summer is now a distant memory, the nights draw closer and the weather gets more and more dreary with each coming day…. Yay? But after a few years of study, I feel like I have got into the balance of life/work but every year September brings around the challenge all over again. With what feels like mountains to do, sometimes the things I enjoy seem to slip. So, having just been set 5 projects all due by December, I thought now would be a good time to outline what I find are the best ways to manage those stressy times but still get what needs to be done… well… done! 1)       Lists – an old but true suggestion. Write everything down. The stress of forgetting something is gone and u

Finding the light within the storm

January was a month of lockdown, isolation and teaching from home. A month of sunrises, walks and reading. Dancing, painting, snow falls and quiet. There was beauty where you looked for it. Moments of calm amongst this storm. The snow bought a welcome relief. Some variety to living so cooped up. It felt lovely to feel such coolness in the air and to see the world looking so bright. I built a snowman and felt my worries slipping away. I enjoyed hot chocolates and cosy blankets. February started off much like January but harder. Days working from home felt filled with stress and worry. Long days slumped over a laptop, grinding teeth and headaches, deadlines and lesson plans. However, it has also been filled with love. Valentines day, walks, yummy food and still more memories from this month to make. I wanted to share a few things that are lighting up my life so far in 2021. We all need to find the light in the storm. I downloaded an app called one second everyday and I really recommend y

Meditations and Mantras

Meditation is a practise that is growing in popularity. It looks to increase calmness and enhance overall health and well-being.  Meditation focuses on the positive connection between the mind and body. It does not look to change you into a different person. It looks to help you to explore yourself more deeply. There are many different types and reasons that people practise meditation but they all have 4 aspects in common; They usually take place in a quiet space. They use a posture that keeps the spine straight whether that be sitting, standing or laying down. They use focus on a mantra, object or the feeling of your breath. They focus on a sense of self compassion when watching thoughts come and go. Meditation has been found to have a positive impact on health from health conditions such as IBS and high blood pressure to mental health conditions. 5 reasons to meditate : "1: Understand your pain 2: Lower your stress 3: Connect better 4: Improve focus 5: Reduce brain chatter"